Re: Ross's TCPA paper

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 06:33:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: Morlock Elloi <morlockelloi@yahoo.com>
To: cypherpunks@lne.com

> Speaking personally, if asked "DRM & privacy, both or neither?"
> then I will take "both" --  YMMV.

This bullshit is getting deeper and thicker.

(dis)ability to replay received information at will has next to nothing to do
with ability to stop unwanted parties from obtaining secret information.

Let me rephrase this for stupids:

DRM is about enforcing NDA between me and someone who made information
available to me. DRM is about preventing me to transmit information which
became a part of my experience.

DRM is about who owns my memories.

One *is* the sum of information obtained from the outside world. Information
becomes (a small) part of you. This is why people share songs - they identify
with something there and want to communicate it. THAT'S WHY THEY LIKE IT IN THE
FIRST PLACE.

The ultimate DRM is city government stopping you from describing streets,
leased apartment owner stopping you from reminiscing sex you had there, school
suing you from passing on the knowledge learned. Put a newborn in a sensory
deprivation tank and twenty years later observe someone who fully obeys
"rights".

There is no moderate answer to this. The only possible answer is FUCK YOU.

Privacy is about stopping unwanted from knowing my private bits, bits I share
with my chosen circle of associates and friends.

And guess what - I am not a friend or associate with entertainment publishers.
I am not a member.

Sale of information is always a sale to the group one belongs to. After few
iterations it quickly expands to the whole connected world. So publishers can
choose to (a) become pipes more convenient and faster than information working
its way through degrees of separations or (b) go out of business. In the
meantime a lot of money and maybe some blood will be spent trying to accomodate
sheer greed.

There is no middle road. Keep your fingers off my memories or I'll pulverize
yours.