[FYI] UK unveils Open Source policy, may make it 'default' option

-------------------------------- CUT -------------------------------

UK unveils Open Source policy, may make it 'default' option

By John Lettice

The UK government yesterday announced its policy on Open Source
software, and as far as we can figure out, it seems to be cautiously
pro. In answer to a parliamentary question (and we strongly suspect
'plant' here), Home Office minister Douglas Alexander said: "I am
pleased to announce new policy on the use of Open Source Software
within UK Government. It explains how we will consider Open Source
Software solutions alongside proprietary ones in IT procurements and
award contracts on a value for money basis, seeking to avoid lock-in
to proprietary IT products and services."

[...]