[FYI] (Fwd) FC: Disabling graphics in web browsers violates copyright law

Date sent:      	Thu, 15 Aug 2002 07:33:51 -0400
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:        	FC: Disabling graphics in web browsers violates copyright law
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

---

Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 00:12:27 -0400
To: declan@well.com
From: Doug Isenberg <disenberg@gigalaw.com>
Subject: Pop-up ads and the law

Declan:

 As you know, a district court judge recently entered a preliminary
injunction against Gator in a lawsuit brought by numerous website news
publishers over Gator's pop-up advertising service.  In my most recent
column for The Wall Street Journal Online (now available on
GigaLaw.com at
http://www.gigalaw.com/articles/2002/isenberg-2002-08.html), I examine
the potential greater effect of this lawsuit.  For example: "Terence
Ross of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher, the news publishers' attorney, even
told me that he thinks Internet users who configure their browsers to
disable graphics (a common tactic to boost the speed of Web surfing)
are committing copyright infringement because they are interfering
with Web publishers' exclusive right to control how their pages are
displayed."

Doug Isenberg, Esq.
Author, "The GigaLaw Guide to Internet Law" (Random House, October
2002): http://www.GigaLaw.com/guide FREE daily Internet law news via
e-mail!  Subscribe today: http://www.GigaLaw.com/news

--- Like Politech? Make a donation here:
http://www.politechbot.com/donate/ Recent CNET News.com articles:
http://news.search.com/search?q=declan CNET Radio 9:40 am ET weekdays:
http://cnet.com/broadband/0-7227152.html