[FYI] (Fwd) FC: Feds should be able to spy on non-U.S. citizens, CIA says

Date sent:      	Tue, 10 Sep 2002 00:48:50 -0400
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:        	FC: Feds should be able to spy on non-U.S. citizens, CIA says
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

An excerpt from my article from last week... Lago is talking about USA
Patriot and so on in his "went crazy" reference.

Also see Sen. DeWine's related bill (it's so extreme that even the
Justice Department has criticized it, albeit mildly):
http://news.com.com/2010-1071-948283.html?tag=politech

-Declan

---

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-956827.html

    [...]

    "Civil libertarians just went crazy," said Philip Lago, deputy
    executive secretary at the CIA.

    Because the CIA's records are classified, "I can't share with you
    the successes, and there have been literally hundreds of them,"
    Lago said at the conference.

    Lago said that while the intelligence community is sensitive to
    concerns about overly broad surveillance, laws can complicate
    effective intelligence-gathering. "The National Security Agency is
    working on the Fourth Amendment thing," Lago said. He added that
    legal restrictions against spying on U.S. citizens are not
    controversial, but those same limitations pose a problem when
    immigrants and tourists can benefit from the Fourth Amendment's
    prohibition on "unreasonable" searches.

    "I wish we could make every single member of this country--there
    goes this democracy thing, right?--read those New York Times
    articles (about victims of the World Trade Center) and realize
    what this is about," Lago said.

    [...]

--- Like Politech? Make a donation here:
http://www.politechbot.com/donate/ Recent CNET News.com articles:
http://news.search.com/search?q=declan CNET Radio 9:40 am ET weekdays:
http://cnet.com/broadband/0-7227152.html