[FYI] (Fwd) FC: DOJ says Bernstein encryption case is moot, should be dismissed

Date sent:      	Mon, 21 Oct 2002 22:45:44 -0400
To:             	politech@politechbot.com
From:           	Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:        	FC: DOJ says Bernstein encryption case is moot, should be dismissed
Send reply to:  	declan@well.com

Earlier Politech message:

"Bernstein can post source code, say Feds, from Reuters"
http://www.politechbot.com/p-00950.html

---

 > PRESS RELEASE
 >
 > Contact: Daniel J. Bernstein, press-20021018@box.cr.yp.to
 >

 > GOVERNMENT BACKS AWAY FROM CRYPTO REGULATIONS
 >
 > San Francisco, 18 October 2002 - The government today told a
 federal > court that several portions of the current encryption
 regulations would > not be enforced. > > The regulations are being
 challenged by Daniel J. Bernstein, a professor > of mathematics,
 statistics, and computer science at the University of > Illinois at
 Chicago. Bernstein's lawsuit led to four court decisions > against
 the constitutionality of the government's previous regulations. > >
 To comply with the current regulations, cryptographers must send >
 encryption software to the National Security Agency before showing
 the > software to foreigners. They must also wait for government
 approval if > source code for the software is not publicly available.
 > > Department of Justice attorney Tony Coppolino told the court that
 the > government would not enforce the regulations against
 cryptographers > working together at conferences. He also told the
 court that the > government would treat ``assembly language'' as
 source code. > > Chief Judge Marilyn Hall Patel of the United States
 District Court for > the Northern District of California will take
 the next action in the > case. Observers expect Patel to rely on the
 government's promises and > dismiss Bernstein's case without deciding
 the constitutionality of the > current regulations. > > ``I'm trying
 to help protect the Internet against bad guys,'' Bernstein > said in
 a statement. ``I hope it's true that the government is going to >
 stop interfering in my work.'' > > -30-

--- Like Politech? Make a donation here:
http://www.politechbot.com/donate/ Recent CNET News.com articles:
http://news.search.com/search?q=declan