[FYI] Studios Using Digital Armor to Fight Piracy

http://cryptome.org/mpaa-censor.htm

----------------------------- CUT --------------------------------

The New York Times, January 5, 2003

Studios Using Digital Armor to Fight Piracy

By AMY HARMON

Lying dormant in virtually every digital cable box in America is
technology that can prevent viewers from recording certain programs
to watch them later. Soon, several Hollywood studios are planning to
tell cable operators to flip the switch.

People who have become accustomed to recording pay-per-view and video-
on-demand shows will probably still be able to, the studios say — so
long as they pay an extra fee.

The move is one of a range of new restrictions Hollywood is beginning
to impose on digital movies, music and television. After years of
battling online piracy in court, media executives are fighting
technology with technology, locking up their products with the same
types of digital tools that millions of people have used to get the
products free over the Internet.

"We need to put in speed bumps to keep people honest," said Jack
Valenti, the president of the Motion Picture Association of America,
which is lobbying federal regulators to require many devices to
incorporate technology that prevents consumers from sending digital
media files over the Internet. "If we don't, our future is bleak."

[...]