[FYI] Will broadband providers control Net content in the U.S.?

<http://www.idg.com.sg/idgwww.nsf/unidlookup/DBA538C52BC6B04C48256CFE
0013EEF6>

--------------------------- CUT -------------------------------

Will broadband providers control Net content in the U.S.?

By Scarlet Pruitt

IDG News Service, Boston Bureau

04-04-2003

NEW YORK -- As the U.S.' Internet architecture moves from dial-up
access to broadband, some speakers at the Computers, Freedom and
Privacy (CFP) conference in New York Thursday expressed concern that
the major cable operators that provide the high-speed networks will
control users' access to content.

"If we don't do something now broadband access will be based on the
TV model -- it will all be about directing marketing and advertising
to your household," said Jeff Chester, executive director of the
Center for Digital Democracy.

Chester's fear is of a broadband world where cable operators steer
users to content, services and applications that they or their
partners own, and impede access to competitors' offerings, by slowing
down users' connection rates to those sites or blocking them
altogether.

"It's about bucks and bites, not about free speech," he said.

However, Michael Schooler, deputy general counsel of the National
Cable Television Association, dismissed claims that broadband
providers would control users' access to Web offerings.

"(Cable operators) don't do this now, and I don't think it's going to
happen in the future," he said.

[...]