[FYI] VeriSign Site Finder Service Update

VeriSign hat den Stecker gezogen:

* Quoting <URL:http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/031003/sff057_1.html>:
Press Release	Source: VeriSign, Inc.

VeriSign Site Finder Service Update
Friday October 3, 2:58 pm ET
VeriSign Will Temporarily Suspend Web Navigation Service in Order to
Continue To Work With Internet Community Towards a Long-Term
Implementation

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., Oct. 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- VeriSign, Inc.
(Nasdaq: VRSN - News), the leading provider of critical infrastructure
services for the Internet and telecommunications networks, today
announced that it will temporarily suspend its Site Finder, a new service
to improve Web navigation for Internet users.

"Without so much as a hearing, ICANN today formally asked us to shut down
the Site Finder service. We will accede to the request while we explore
all of our options," said Russell Lewis, executive vice president of
VeriSign's Naming and Directory Services Group. "During the more than two
weeks that Site Finder has been operational, there is no data to indicate
that the core operation of the Domain Name System or stability of the
Internet has been adversely affected. ICANN is using anecdotal and
isolated issues to attempt to regulate non-registry services, but in the
interests of further working with the technical community we will
temporarily suspend Site Finder."

[...]
Letter from Paul Twomey to Russell Lewis:
<http://www.icann.org/correspondence/twomey-to-lewis-03oct03.htm>

Slashdot:
<http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/10/03/1410244>

--
O Canada! / Our home and native land! / True patriot love in all thy sons
command. / With glowing hearts we see thee rise, / The True North strong and