[FYI] Expectations of a Closed Environment

<http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/cmusings/2004/02/04#a590>

Expectations of a Closed Environment

One commenter questioned my statement: "How will people become
accustomed to a digital world in which you have to rebuy all of your
software players and music catalog whenever a better format, player,
or service comes out?"  Yes, people have had to shift formats over
time, but I think there are three countervailing factors at work here

1.  First, the old barriers don't apply in the same way now.  Bits
are bits.  You can't upgrade a tape player to play CDs.  You can
(theoretically) upgrade the firmware on your MP3/CD player to also
play AAC.  You can't turn your tape into a CD.  You can
(theoretically) convert your MP3 into AAC to play it on a compatible
player.

2.  That said, I think people will only tolerate circumstances in
which they actually get an improved sound quality, like moving from
tape to CD.  Sure, if a new codec came around that sounded a lot
better than MP3, people might rebuy their entire catalog.  But,
unlike in the analog world, they wouldn't necessarily have to do so
to make use of a new player - they wouldn't have to have one player
for MP3 and one for New-Codec - they wouldn't have to choose between
Beta and VHS.

3.  Given that people are used to a world in which MP3 is ubiquitous,
there is little reason for them to shift laterally to a codec linked
to a proprietary DRM format.  I don't see people becoming accustomed
to the walls between iTunes, Real, and WMA-based services and
players.

Posted by Derek Slater on 2/4/04; 12:22:43 AM from the General news
dept. #