From: chris@kosh.punk.net (Christopher Ambler)
Newsgroups: netuse.lists.newdom
Subject: Offensive Names
Date: 22 Jul 1996 23:20:07 +0200

True, we're not really supposed to discuss the InterNIC,
but here is an example of something going on that will
affect all new registries.

I recently registered FUCK.COM to see what would happen.
It was turned down as offensive. Note, however, that
there are 15 .COM entries with the word FUCK in them used in
that context. I spoke with someone at the InterNIC just
now, who told me that not only are they not going to allow my
registration, but all 15 others with FUCK in them have
been given notice to change their registry name, as their
current domain will be deleted in time.

The InterNIC has created an arbitrary list of words they
will no longer accept - a list decided by their legal
department, I'm told. I asked for a copy, and was told that
it will be emailed to me.

Possible problem here is legal again: their decision to
deny domains which they feel are offensive is a very bad
position. What about words in other languages? What
about "abortion.com" which some might find offensive as
well? Their current policy seems to be one of "if it's
acceptable on a personalized license plate, it's okay
with us." This is also dangerous, as they're not a
government agency as a DMV is.

Dangerous ground.

Christopher Ambler
President, Image Online Design, Inc.