Interessante Variante, English Style

Mal ne ALternative zu ICTF etc... --Detlef

-----------------------Schnipp---------Schnapp------------
Scotland Yard's Metro Vice Squad has just unilaterally declared as
pornographers
any ISP that allows any of more than 250 Newsgroups to reach London
Internet
users -- but has been kind enough to say they won't prosecute (under the
UK's
Obscene Publications Act) if the ISPs check each and every thing that
comes
across the Net and eliminate those the police don't like (at the ISP's
own
expense, of course).

We have just published an exclusive interview with the man who has
assumed
personal responsibility for all this as a special report in the current
issue of CompuWeb <http://pollux.com/compuweb>, written by T. Bruce
Tober,
who covers Internet censorship in a standing column for CompuWeb.

Just as the Munich incident had such a dramatic impact on CompuServe,
this
effort by the London police could have much more far-reaching
consequences.
Although it currently only affects London, they are trying to get it
nationwide
and, in the Chief Inspector's words in a letter to UK ISPs, "This list
is only
the starting point and we hope, with the cooperation and assistance of
the
industry and your trade organisations, to be moving quickly towards the
eradication of this type of Newsgroup from the Internet."

I should think it might provide a bit of grist for the mill of
journalists
interested in the future of the Net.
        J.R. Wilson                     JRWilson@pollux.com
        Publisher                        http://pollux.com
        Pollux Publishing           AeroWeb-CompuWeb-DefenseWeb
                    Our Writers Are Our Reputation

 Markus Stumpf              maex@leo.org            http://www.leo.org/~maex/