Fwd: FC: European Commission urges U.S. gvt to halt domain name plan

>Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 07:45:32 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
>To: fight-censorship-announce@vorlon.mit.edu
>Subject: FC: European Commission urges U.S. gvt to halt domain name plan

[Thanks to K. N. Cukier for this report. If you want even more details,
I've attached notes from an April 9 "EU Commission meeting with TLD
Registry representatives." --Declan]

****************

Date: 21 Apr 97 07:06:35 EDT
From: "K. N. Cukier" <100736.3602@CompuServe.COM>
To: Fight Censorship <FIGHT-CENSORSHIP@vorlon.mit.edu>
Subject: EC urges halt to IAHC plan

[Following Declan's article on NSI, the story moves up a notch as the EC enters
the debate. What we are seeing is a radical change in Internet policy-making
away from self-governance to government wanting a seat at the table.
Additionally, the OECD report on domain names is set for the fall rather than
June, due to the French delegation wanting more time to consider the issue. --
KNC]

CommunicationsWeek International reports in the edition dated Monday, 21 April
1997:

EC Urges Halt to IAHC Plan
Commission Wants More Input and Major Changes

By Kenneth Neil Cukier

BRUSSELS -- The European Commission is urging the U.S. government to halt
a plan for new Internet domain names.

An official from the EC's Directorate General XIII, which handles
telecommunications issues, revealed that the EC last week sent comments to
the U.S. Department of State and other federal agencies requesting EC
representation and further public debate. The official stated that the
commission had the support of national telecommunication ministries,
trademark offices and the European Internet community. "This is not a
unilateral decision by the EC," he said.

The existing proposal, by the International Ad Hoc Committee (IAHC)-a group
comprising Internet bodies along with the International Telecommunication
Union (ITU) and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)-calls
for a set of new generic top level domains (gTLDs) to compete with .com,
along with regulated competition among registries.

The EC's comments recommend major amendments, including:

* Different names: The IAHC's new gTLD names are English-centric words,
says the EC, and one, .web, is currently challenged in U.S. courts.
* No lottery for registrars: The IAHC proposal calls for initial registrars
to be selected by lottery. The EC dislikes the "arbitrary process."
* Clearer trademark regulations: WIPO is hosting a conference in late May
on trademark issues on the Internet, and the EC wants to wait until WIPO
considers the issue.
* Settle .com: The plan should not be enacted until the issue of whether
current gTLDs should be shared is resolved.
* Go slow: The EC wants more time for Internet community, industry and
governmental comments.

EC officials and European Internet leaders maintain that the current
problems with gTLDs are due to the poor handling of .com in the United
States, and that the IAHC proposal will merely serve to exacerbate the
problems.

In Washington DC, officials from the White House, federal agencies and
Congress say regulations may be necessary to promote a free-market system.
A White House inter-agency taskforce was due to meet last week, after CWI's
press deadline, to discuss the matter.

The issue is an urgent one for Europe and the United States, because a
ceremony is planned on 1 May at the ITU in Geneva for initial signatories
to the IAHC's memorandum of understanding, which will officially enact the
policy. The groups intending to sign the document are the ITU, WIPO, and
the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority.

The IAHC got key European support earlier this month when Deutsche Telekom
and France Telecom endorsed its proposal. Other companies intending to sign
include MCI, Digital Equipment Corp. and UUNet Technologies Inc.

Despite such endorsements, some European ISPs oppose the plan. An official
at EUNet International BV, an Amsterdam-based European Internet backbone
provider, said it is "worried that the current proposals are very
U.S.-centric, and will only increase the confusion created by inconsistent
and weak InterNIC policies."

Don Heath, president of the Internet Society and the chairman of the IAHC,
said that many of the EC's complaints would be easily overcome. IAHC
membership will expand after the signing ceremony, he said, adding that the
majority of the IAHC's members will be replaced during the next few months.
"There aren't any substantive issues that prevent the EC working with the
IAHC," Heath said.

He also defended the composition of the IAHC, which includes U.S.
expatriates in Europe. Dave Crocker, a member of the IAHC, said that
the lottery process was the fairest way to trial the system until it
is opened up for anyone to participate.

###