Re:Zu: Open Profiling Standard (OPS)

Ich habe zum dem Thema u.a. die folgende Nachricht erhalten

Theodor Schlickmann

> http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,10965,00.html
>                 Net privacy proposal launched
>                 By Courtney Macavinta
>                 May 27, 1997, 7 a.m. PT
>
>                 update Netscape Communications (NSCP), Firefly
>                 Network, VeriSign, and other leading Net
>                 technology providers have proposed a global
>                 standard for sending and receiving personal
>                 information across the Net.
>
>                 As previously reported by CNET's NEWS.COM,
>                 late Friday, the companies today announced the
>                 Open Profiling Standard (OPS), an architecture
>                 intended to let Web sites collect surfers' private
>                 data--from their user name to their hobbies, with
>                 their consent, to build custom content or services.
>
>                 Such a standard could allow Web sites to create
>                 information services that are tailored more closely
>                 to individual tastes. For example, an online
>                 bookseller could automatically generate a virtual
>                 bookshelf containing only mysteries.
>
>                 Currently, Web sites use a variety of methods to
>                 collect Net users' data, including "cookies," a
>                 technology that keeps track of a user's activity on
>                 site.
>
>                 OPS would go a step beyond cookies, providing a
>                 method that would allow a surfer to store personal
>                 information on a PC hard drive, including the user's
>                 name, address, zip code, phone number, email
>                 address, age, marital status, interests, and
>                 passwords.
>
>                 That will allow users to log on new sites without
>                 having to fill out cumbersome registration forms.
>                 Only sites that support the standard would be able
>                 to obtain the profile information from the user's
>                 computer.
>
>                 The user can edit the encrypted profile on the hard
>                 drive. While surfing, people can withhold
>                 information from certain Web sites and be notified
>                 as to what profile data a site is requesting,
>                 according to the proposal.
>
>               Thank you very much about this; I don't really know if
we have to cheer up or start worrying a little bit more about our
privacy. In fact, as of today, very few people are really aware about
what exactly does a "cookie" you receive, when you visit a Web site.
Having already experienced the wonders of "spam" (unsollicited garbage
commercial e-mail ) through my Compuserve account, I am very much
afraid about all the software manufacturers tell us and also what they
fail to tell us. The fact is, we are giving away gradually - without
even noticing it - bits of our privacy for - God knows only what kind
of - development of e-commerce on the Net.

I have already some nostalgia about the old days when I was acccessing
the Internet through terminal commands. At that time it was more
cumbersome, but I am sure, more respectful about the individual.

Many thanks again for the info.

Dimitri Corpakis
XII-AS