Metatags

Keine Ahnung, was das ist, wer Pam Anderson war hab ich auch vergessen,
aber das hier fand ich ganz interessant, interessanter Blickwinkel,
aus www.thestandard.net:

                                                       Learning From Porn
    Excerpted from an online dialogue at FEED Magazine that will continue
                                     through Oct. 1. (September 21, 1998)

                                                                 [INLINE]

   The following is excerpted from an online dialogue at FEED Magazine
   that will continue through Oct. 1.

   Maribeth Bruno is a senior editor at Playboy.com.

   Seth Warshavsky is CEO of IEG, the online erotic entertainment company
   that unveiled the OurFirstTime.com hoax and legally defended the
   distribution of the Pamela Anderson and Tommie Lee video.

   Rufus Griscom is editor in chief of Nervemag.com, the zine of
   "literate smut."

   Lee Noga is CEO of ZMaster, a major reseller and distributor of
   pornographic photos, videos and CD-ROMs on the Internet.

   It's an oft-heard adage that the sex industry is a bellwether for
   technological breakthroughs, from VHS systems to e-commerce to
   Net-conferencing. In your minds, what have been the most important
   advances - technically, editorially or legally - brought about by the
   online porn business?

   Griscom: To start, Nerve is not, by my definition, a porn magazine,
   which is to say that we are more focused on stimulating gray matter
   than groins. Because the press finds us less objectionable than XXX
   Web sites, we've enjoyed considerable media exposure and have been
   able to create a different business model based on advertising, book
   and licensing revenues.

   While we are not pioneering technology, we may be charting new ground
   by demonstrating the profitability of cross-media brand expansion for
   shoestring Web magazines. (We are taking Nerve overseas, into print
   and merchandising.)

   And of course, it's important to remember that this nation's
   near-boundless appetite for porn also pays for innovation by the major
   search engine companies. Yahoo, Lycos and their brethren have done a
   good job keeping quiet about the proportion of their ad revenues that
   come from the porn industry. (Some say it's a majority.)

   Noga: The adult industry on the Web follows the natural progression of
   its technical achievements in the multimedia and video industry. Web
   technical advances include development of live video, audio, chat,
   messaging, imaging and virtual reality.

   Warshavsky: The most important advance has been the merger of the
   Internet and other entertainment distribution vehicles into one
   medium. The adult entertainment industry has driven this evolution by
   designing the first workable technology that combines television and
   the Internet. Within the next 12 to 24 months, the world will see an
   interactive television experience from a desktop machine that will
   bring an unlimited supply of entertainment, news and information.

   What are the biggest failures?

   Noga: What the adult industry needs to realize now is that success in
   other industries (print, video, multimedia) does not give you the edge
   on the Web. The Web is monopolized by the grassroots webmasters who
   established the Web years before the big names appeared.

   Bruno: I vote for those annoying pop-up consoles and unsolicited
   commercial e-mail as the biggest failures.

   What about the legal issues?

   Noga: We came to the Web desiring a simple retail store presence for
   CDs and videos. In our quest to find out how this is done, we
   identified some horrific problems in the industry, which included
   profiting from content stolen from newsgroups. We realized we were
   most abused in the area of hard core. Instead of lashing out at the
   industry with legal wrangles, we decided to be part of the solution
   and license content for pennies an image.

   Bruno: On other legal fronts, Playboy has been at the forefront of
   intellectual property law as it aggressively defends its interests
   online. This March, a $3.74 million award, plus attorneys' fees and
   court costs, was assessed against San Diego-based Five Senses
   Productions for its unauthorized use of almost 7,500 Playboy-owned
   images. Notably, each use was treated as an individual copyright
   infringement. In April, Playboy was granted the first reported award
   of statutory damages for trademark counterfeiting since the U.S.
   Trademark Act was amended in 1996, in a case against Hong Kong-based
   AsiaFocus International and Internet Promotions for their use of the
   "Playboy" and "Playmate" trademarks in their advertising and metatags.

   Noga: It's interesting that Maribeth's response doesn't mention the
   issue of metatags, for which Playboy is appealing a loss for
   injunction against Playmate Terri Welles. Rumor has it that if Terri
   wins, several Playmates will follow, and, with the support of the
   adult industry, these girls will be assisted to launch their sites
   independently of Playboy. If surfers can access the girls outside of
   Playboy, Playboy may find itself without that silver spoon in its
   mouth - and may have to resort to working for traffic.