Date:          Sun, 01 Nov 1998 23:40:13 -0500
To:            politech@vorlon.mit.edu
From:          Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:       FC: New York official explains why police seized ISPs

Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 21:50:03 -0600
From: Sean Donelan <SEAN@SDG.DRA.COM>
Subject: It must be election time again

The New York State Attorney General seized the computers at a
couple of ISPs in New York State.
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/press/oct98/oct28_98.html
The ISPes responses to the AG's press release are at
http://www.dreamscape.com/dream98/statement.htm
http://www.buffnet.net/ag/
It is unclear what the purpose of physically seizing the news servers
since according to Buffnet.net, none of the accused traffickers used
Buffnet.net as their ISP. Nor was either ISP actually charged with any
criminal activity (as opposed to the AG's implication to the media) If
the AG's office wanted to receive those newsgroups they could have
received their own feed. Maybe the A.G. just needed some new computer
hardware for his offices. Anyone care to guess just how many different
law enforcement agencies are conducting various undercover activities?
More seem to pop out of the wood-work every week. In case anyone
missed it, notice that all the arrested people are identified by AOL
screen names. I assume it was AOL, since the term "screen name" is
rarely used by any other provider. Any prediction when New York's AG
is going to sieze AOL's servers, or does the AG only target small ISPs
likely to have limited legal resources.