[FYI] Scott McNealy (SUN): "Do We Worry Too Much About Protecting Intellectual Property?"

http://www.cadence.com/features/vol3No3/mc_nealy

Do We Worry Too Much About Protecting IP?

By Scott McNealy

It seems as if everyone’s always worried about intellectual
property, or IP. We worry about its proprietary nature and how to
protect it. But let’s take a different angle on IP and also
intellectual capital inside a company, because I think we
all worry way too much about protecting it.

IP has the shelf life of a banana. It just doesn’t last, yet
we’re all worried about protecting it, hiding it, securing it,
storing it in a vault. As a result, we absolutely prevent our
competitors from getting ahold of it, but we also prevent our
employees from getting ahold of it. We prevent our customers
— and our suppliers and our partners — from getting access to
it. As a result, by the time the people who need access to it
get that access, it’s so old that it is effectively a banana
we wouldn’t want to eat.

[...]

--
SH Online Dienst GmbH, Kristian Koehntopp,
Siemenswall, 24107 Kiel, +49 431 386 436 00