Markus Kuhn über DS5002FP

From: mgk25@cl.cam.ac.uk (Markus Kuhn)
Subject: Re: DS5002FP Secure Micro Crypted Buses
Date: 15 Dec 1998 15:23:58 GMT

joep de rijk (joeprijk@knoware.nl) wrote:
> Does anyone have information about the security features of the 8051
> compatible microprocessor chip DS5002FP (from Dallas Semiconductor)?
> Also, does anyone know about how secure this processor *really* is?

The story of how this security processor was broken with very
cheap equipment in a student lab has just appeared a few weeks ago
in IEEE TC:

  Markus G. Kuhn: Cipher Instruction Search Attack on the Bus-Encryption
  Security Microcontroller DS5002FP. IEEE Transactions on Computers,
  Vol. 47, No. 10, October 1998, pp. 1153-1157.

I delayed the final publication for quite some time, because this
result had caused considerable panic in the credit-card terminal and
ATM industry, where this security processor is *very* widely used.

In spite of this attack, I think that bus encryption processors are
a very neat idea that we are probably going to see also in PCs some
time into the future.

Markus