[FYI] (Fwd) the hour of truth: freedom of speech v. privacy

Zum Hintergrund siehe z.B. auch

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washdc/ncsfri04.htm

Date:          Sat, 23 Jan 1999 13:15:45 -0800 (PST)
From:          Margarita Lacabe <marga@derechos.org>
Subject:       the hour of truth: freedom of speech v. privacy
To:            Global Internet Liberty Campaign <gilc-plan@gilc.org>

I don't think anyone here has commented about this piece of news.  I'd
like to know where GILC members would stand in a situation like this
(and I would specially like to know because we do something similar -
publishing the addresses of known torturers when we have them).

Take care,

Marga

--

********************
NARAL E-NEWS

Welcome to the NARAL E-News, a round-up of the top news stories about
abortion, reproductive rights, contraception and other women's health
issues from the past week.

* In Oregon, Planned Parenthood, a clinic and five doctors are suing the
creators of a website that lists the names of abortion doctors on what
has been called a de facto "hit list."  The site (
http://www.christiangallery.com/atrocity/ ) refers to doctors who
perform abortions as "baby butchers," and records personal information
such as addresses, photos, and license numbers of hundreds of doctors,
and even the names of their children.  "Sites like Nuremberg are a
threat to doctors because the anti-abortion movement in the United
States follows up on threats like that with violence," said Bonnie
Jones, a lawyer at New York's Center for Reproductive Law and Policy
(San Jose Mercury News, 1/7).  Four doctors and two clinic workers
killed by anti-abortion activists since 1993 are crossed off on the
site, including Dr. Barnett Slepian, who was killed by a sniper on
October 23, 1998.  Doctors and clinic workers who are wounded have
their names shaded in grey.

 *In Florida, the Aware Woman Center for Choice has filed a lawsuit
against several anti-abortion protesters and Compuserve, a subsidiary
of America Online, because of what the clinic says is misuse of
personal information online.  Attorney Roy Lucas, who represents
Patricia Windle, owner of the Aware Woman clinic, said members of the
group Christians for Life used Compuserve to identify visitors to the
clinic through the license plates on their cars, then used that
information to stalk, threaten and harass doctors, patients and staff.
 "They would later just contact these women out of the blue, and then
identify them to others," Lucas said (Reuters, 1/6).  The lawsuit
claims that patients were sometimes stalked with video cameras, and
the way the protesters obtained and used personal information violates
a privacy act passed by Congress in 1994.  Merideth Raney of
Christians for Life said his group was acting only to "protect women
and children."

Margarita Lacabe - Derechos - marga@derechos.org -
http://www.derechos.org
______

          "Those who would give up essential freedoms for security,
          deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin