[FYI] (Fwd) FC: Hands off the Internet! (a very good column in U

Date:          Fri, 05 Feb 1999 00:08:44 -0500
To:            politech@vorlon.mit.edu
From:          Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:       FC: Hands off the Internet! (a very good column in USA Today)

>From: "James Lucier" <james.lucier@worldnet.att.net>
>To: "Declan McCullagh" <declan@well.com>,
>Subject: Washington:  Hands Off the Internet!!
>Date: Thu, 4 Feb 1999 22:56:05 -0500
>
>USA TODAY Latest news (http://www.usatoday.com/news/comment/ncjf5.htm)

01/20/99- Updated 02:55 PM ET
The Nation's Homepage
Washington: Hands Off the Internet!
By James Freeman

An excerpt:

Let's have a moratorium on new online regulations -- call it the
Internet Freedom Act. For five years, there should be no new rules for
online business. And let's allow the telephone companies to create new
high-speed services without having the FCC decide who can buy them and
at what price.

Don't let the politicians make the Internet "safe" for
consumers by encasing it in a layer of regulatory
goo. First of all, we already have tons of laws to
protect people against fraud, theft, etc. The fact
that a crime is committed online doesn't give
anyone immunity today. And even for those areas
where we may need new law, let it evolve and
grow with the expansion of knowledge.