[FYI] (Fwd) FC: Clinton worries about Internet and biochem weapo

Date:          Wed, 07 Apr 1999 08:19:33 -0400
To:            politech@vorlon.mit.edu
From:          Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Subject:       FC: Clinton worries about Internet and biochem weapons, genocide

I note the leader of the free world doesn't seem too worried about
terrorists going to the public library and reading US Army battlefield
explosives manuals. More on the Clinton administration and its
attempts to restrict bomb-making info online:

http://cgi.pathfinder.com/time/digital/daily/0,2822,592,00.html
http://cgi.pathfinder.com/time/digital/daily/0,2822,12032,00.html

-Declan

*******

http://library.whitehouse.gov/PressReleases.cgi?date=1&briefing=0

                           THE WHITE HOUSE

                    Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release                          April 6, 1999

                      REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT
                     AT HATE CRIMES ANNOUNCEMENT

                        The Roosevelt Room

10:51 A.M. EDT

[...]

So what I worry about all the time is whether
terrorists can get on the Internet and figure out how to make
chemical and biological weapons to pursue agendas against people of
different ethnic or religious groups.  And so it's very humbling, I
think, for those of us who think we have brought the modern world, and
prosperity and rationality to all of human affairs, to see what is
going on in the Balkans, and to see these terrible examples of
violence here in our own country.

[...]