[FYI] Menwith Hill's prisoner of conscience

http://jya.com/menwith-poc.htm

-------------------------------- CUT --------------------------------

Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 13:22:29 +0100
From: Ian Brown <I.Brown@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
To: ukcrypto@maillist.ox.ac.uk
Subject: Menwith Hill's prisoner of conscience

The Independent, 5 May 1999.

Lindis Percy is 57, a vicar's wife and a Quaker. Meet Suffolk's most
unlikely prisoner of conscience. By Ann Treneman

I set off to RAF Menwith Hill on a mission without realising that the
place was not on the map. Sitting by the side of the road somewhere
between Leeds and Bradford, I saw that this was entirely predictable.
After all, Menwith

Hill is one of the world's largest listening-stations. It is top
secret and supposedly run by the Americans. It is hardly going to
appear, flagged by a little spying icon, in the AA Big Road Atlas of
Britain. But, having driven 250 miles, I was not going to turn round.
I asked directions.

"Take the B6451," said a woman. "It's near Blubberhouses."

This part of Yorkshire is shockingly beautiful and perhaps that is why
Menwith Hill seems so ugly. You drive over the crest of the hill and
suddenly the horizon fills up with what appear to be giant tumours. In
fact they are 27 giant, golf-ball style "radomes" crowded together in
what amounts to a very large field. This is a landscape freakish
enough to have been photographed by Diane Arbus. Sheep graze nearby
and there is a stone wall that acts as a bit of the perimeter fence.

As I drove round, a police car moved in behind me. [...]