[FYI] (Fwd) Report on Clairview Internet Sheriff

Date:          Wed, 12 May 1999 01:03:21 +1000
From:          rene@pobox.com (Irene Graham)
Subject:       Report on Clairview Internet Sheriff
To:            gilc-plan@gilc.org

A report issued today by EFA:
http://www.efa.org.au/Publish/report_isheriff.html

Some Australian Senators appear to believe it's suitable for mandatory
use by ISPs to prevent adults' access to Net content.

I gather Clairview is about to start marketing Internet Sheriff
world-wide. It's not an end-user product. As far as I can understand,
ISPs buy a feed from Clairview. The technology apparently scans the
data stream real time and uses a "guessing engine" to decide whether
the content is pornographic.

Some interesting results, none surprising.

Irene