May 18 Trial Issue

Dear Fellow Diver,

Below is your trial issue of DepthFinder--an e-mail newsletter for active divers.
If you would like to receive it each month:

-  If you do not wish to receive DepthFinder, you need to do nothing.
Simply delete this e-mail. You will receive no further mailings from us.

David Taylor
Executive Editor
Scuba Diving Magazine

DEPTH-FINDER

The newsletter for active divers published by Scuba Diving magazine.

May 18, 1999

TABLE OF CONTENTS

--20 Secrets for Better Fin Performance
--Savvy Diver Tip: Should You Make That Last Dive?
--Free Stuff on the Web
--Dive Medicine: Can I Dive With a Cold?
--The Top 10 List: Ways Diving Would Be Different If Bill Gates Were in Charge
--Gear Preview: New Gear for '99
--Reader Ratings: Cozumel
--Savvy Diver Tip: What To Do If You Lose Your Dive Gear

________________FASTER, LONGER, STRONGER
___20 Secrets for Better Fin Performance

One of our ScubaLab's primary goals during this year's performance evaluation
of scuba fins (http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/fins.shtml) was to push the
boundaries of what we currently know about how fins actually work and what
divers consciously and subconsciously do to maximize each fin's potential.

As a result of this work, we've reached some groundbreaking insights about
scuba fins. Some of what we found is empirical validation of truths we've
long suspected. Some are new insights that, we believe, could significantly
improve the fin technique of every diver.

For 20 tips on getting the most out of your fins, go to
http://www.scubadiving.com/training/instruction/finperf.shtml

________________________Savvy Diver Tip:
_________Should You Make That Last Dive?

If you're debating whether you should make one more dive at the end of the
day, consider whether you've off-gassed enough. Dive computers can offer only
theoretical no-decompression limits for the next dive. The mathematical
models that computers and dive tables use can't calculate several key factors
that contribute to DCS: difficulty of the dive (currents, cold, activity
level); your fitness (on that day, as well as in general); your age; your
level of fatigue and hydration. Consider the bottom time your computer gives
you for your next dive as the razor's edge separating you from DCS, then back
off accordingly as you consider the overall picture.

___________________FREE STUFF ON THE WEB

Register to win a dive vacation to Papua New Guinea aboard the luxurious Star
Dancer, a Peter Hughes live-aboard. Go to:
http://www.scubadiving.com/pngsweeps/

Win one of six sets of complete gear OR a dive vacation for two by sharing
the adventure of scuba diving with friends and family. To find a
participating retailer in your area, go to
http://www.scubadiving.com/experiencetheadventure

Win free dive gear! We're giving away dive gear every week for the rest of
the year in our "Winsday" giveaways. You have a very good chance of winning
something. Go to: http://www.scubadiving.com

__DIVE MEDICINE: CAN I DIVE WITH A COLD?

We all know that diving with a stopped-up head is dangerous, but does a
simple cold or touch of the flu mean your expensive dive vacation is over
before it begins? Maybe not.

Let our dive doctor tell you when it's OK to dive and when it isn't, which
medicines are safe to use before a dive and which aren't. Go to:
http://www.scubadiving.com/training/medicine/sickdive.shtml

_________________________THE TOP 10 LIST

Top 10 Ways Diving Would Be Different If Bill Gates Were in Charge
(written by the readers of Scuba Diving Online)

10) You would have to stop diving on January 1, 2000.

9) You could never remove that darn Internet Explorer icon from your dive
computer.

8) This year's new equipment models would eventually be released two years
from now.

7) None of your new gear would be compatible with any of your old stuff.

6) Bill would get all the good gear from other manufacturers and release it
10 years later under another name and call it "revolutionary."

5) When you called Microsoft to schedule a dive trip, you would be left on
hold for a long time, and when you finally talked to someone, you would be
given a lot of information on diving that was absolutely correct but
completely useless.

4) Every dive computer would be from Microsoft and any deaths from them would
be explained as a "beta version" problem. Don't worry we'll fix that in the
next release.

3) Equipment dealers would be required to bundle a parachute with every scuba
package so Bill could eventually dominate the sky diving market (a natural
tie-in).

2) Your air supply would stop and have to be restarted every couple of
minutes and you would accept this as normal.

1) Every time you were really close to your destination, your boat would
crash.

Want more scuba humor? You'll find it in our Top 10 List archives at:
http://www.scubadiving.com/feature/topten/archives.shtml.

__________GEAR PREVIEW: NEW GEAR FOR '99

Our round-up of new scuba equipment includes a look at a titanium dive-knife,
a hands-free DPV, an inexpensive ultrasonic locator, an illuminated dive
slate, a bendable snorkel, a glow-in-the-dark tank boot and 12 more items for
your gear bag you never knew you couldn't live without. Go to:
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/gearpreview/

_________________READER RATINGS: COZUMEL

In every issue of Scuba Diving magazine, we report our readers' ratings of
dive operators and accommodations in dive destinations around the world.
Below are the OVERALL scores for operators and hotels and resorts in Cozumel,
Mexico. The full scores reported in the magazine include ratings of dive
operators' staffs, boats and facilities, and value, and hotels' and resorts'
service, rooms and facilites, restaurants and value. You can purchase a back
issue including the full results, or have them faxed to you by calling
Belinda Triplett at (912) 351-0855.

COZUMEL DIVE OPERATORS
OVERALL SCORES
Aldora Divers: A
Aqua Safari: A
Blue Bubble Divers: B+
Caribbean Divers: A-
Del Mar Aquatics: B+
Dive House Cozumel: A-
Dive Palancar: A
Dive Paradise: B+
Scuba Cozumel: A
Scuba Du: A-
TTC/Club Cozumel Caribe: A-

COZUMEL ACCOMMODATIONS
OVERALL SCORES
Allegro Resort Cozumel: B+
Casa Del Mar: C
Club Cozumel Caribe: B+
Fiesta Americana Cozumel: B+
Fiesta Inn Cozumel: B
Hotel Barracuda: D+
La Ceiba Hotel: B
Paradisus: B+
Plaza Las Glorias: B
Presidente Inter Continental: A
Scuba Club Cozumel: A-

gift. To find out more about this exclusive online offer, go to
https://commerce.cdsfulfillment.com/SCB/subscriptions.cgi

___What To Do If You Lose Your Dive Gear

Rest assured--if you're covered. Your pricey stuff should be covered by a
homeowner's or renter's insurance policy, which usually covers possessions
outside your home. Call your insurer to make sure they'll cover it wherever
you go and whatever you do.