[FYI] E-Commerce Must Jump Regulation Obstacle

http://www.techweb.com/printableArticle?doc_id=REU19990607S0012

-------------------------------- CUT --------------------------------

E-Commerce Must Jump Regulation Obstacle
By Reuters
Jun 7, 1999 (2:09 PM)

MONTE CARLO, Monaco -- The Internet promises to revolutionize the
world of business, but first, a few hurdles must be overcome. Early in
the next century, IT devotees said they believe e-commercegenerated
over the Internet will become a ubiquitous force.

[...]

U.S. research company Forrester Research said it predicts the global
Internet economy will be worth $3,200 trillion in 2003, up from $80
billion in 1998. In 2003, the Internet economy will account for 5
percent of the world's gross domestic product, according to Forrester,
in Cambridge, Mass.

[...]

But some experts say these hopes will not be realized until
governments around the world agree on an acceptable framework of
rules.

[...]

"You can't legislate totally for something you don't fully understand.
We will get agreement, but it will take time. In Europe, we are
probably two years away from agreement; globally, it will take many
years," Drobik said.

"Governments are starting to get a balance between free markets and
genuine protection. We are in a much better state than we were a year
ago," he added.