[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[FYI] (Fwd) BBC report alleges UK tapped all communications to I
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: [FYI] (Fwd) BBC report alleges UK tapped all communications to I
- From: Horns@t-online.de (Axel H. Horns)
- Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 19:21:02 +0100
- Comment: This message comes from the debate mailing list.
- Organization: PA Axel H. Horns
- Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sender: email@example.com
------- Forwarded Message Follows -------
Subject: BBC report alleges UK tapped all communications to Ireland
From: "Perry E. Metzger" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 16 Jul 1999 09:55:02 -0400
Not quite cryptography, but it is SIGINT.
First paragraphs (From the BBC):
Headline: UK 'monitored Irish phone calls'
Subhead: The messages were scanned for key words
The UK Government tapped all telephone messages between Britain
and Ireland during the past 10 years, it has been alleged.
Channel 4 News said a tower in Capenhurst, Cheshire, was used to
intercept all telephone signals between Ireland and the UK from 1989
to when it closed down earlier this year.
The 13-storey windowless tower used electronic equipment to collect
and store all faxes, e-mails, telexes and data communications, the
programme said. Their contents were then allegedly scanned for key
words and subjects of interests.