[FYI] Australien: mandatory client-side filtering.

http://technology.news.com.au/news/4276366.htm

   Users pay for censorship in ISP code
   By SIMON HAYES

   31aug99

   A NEW code of conduct for Internet service providers was unveiled
   yesterday, forcing customers to pay for their own censorship.

   The code, written by the Internet Industry Association (IIA),
   does not require ISPs to block inappropriate content at the
   server end.

   Instead, it supports client-side filters and the use of Net-nanny
   style software for users.

   IIA executive director Peter Coroneos predicted the software
   would cost only $5 per customer when bulk discounts were applied.

   "While that's a lot for a small ISP, it is insignificant for the
   user," he said.

   The code, launched in the aftermath of Federal Government
   legislation to control the Internet, requires ISPs to obtain from
   users a guarantee they are using client-side filtering.

   Those without a filter must be provided with appropriate
   software, with the cost passed on to the customer by the ISP.

   The IIA will add a list of approved filters to the code after an
   independent study.

   "It's only the shonks and cowboys who will have a problem," IIA
   executive director Peter Coroneos said.

   "The code gives our membership a lot of confidence."

   The draft code is open for comment until September 30, after
   which it must be registered by the Australian Broadcasting
   Authority (ABA) before it can come into effect, along with
   federal legislation, on January 1.

   IT Minister Richard Alston had not seen the code and would not
   comment, his office said.

   The federal legislation requires that the Internet industry adopt
   a code of conduct.

   Censorship provisions in the code will have the force of law,
   once ratified by the ABA.

   ISPs that sign the code will be bound by other provisions,
   including rules on privacy, dispute resolution and spamming.

   The code relieves ISPs of any role in censorship apart from
   providing access to the client-side software and reacting to ABA
   notices to pull down a site.

   Mr Coroneos said rules governing content-hosting required the
   host to remove content under their control when told to do so by
   the ABA.

   The ISP must then warn the publisher they have breached the code
   and, possibly, the law.

   The Internet access of repeat offenders must be terminated.

   Mr Coroneos said the burden on ISPs would be lightened as
   pornographic content moved overseas.

   "Because the Government has made it illegal to host prohibited
   content in Australia, most will move offshore," he said. "There
   will be few calls to remove content."

   Mr Coroneos said ISPs would ignore the code at their peril.

   But many people in the Internet industry opposed regulation, he
   said.

   Civil liberties group Electronic Frontiers Australia welcomed
   client-side filtering, as outlined in the code.

   "We still have concerns that some people will be intimidated into
   this," EFA executive director Darce Cassidy said.

   The code was "a whole lot less draconian" than expected, but
   still objectionable, he said.

   ISOC-AU (Internet Society of Australia) director Leni Mayo
   expressed concern that costs would hurt smaller ISPs, but added
   the the code had attempted to address real issues.

   "We accept that there are concerns in the community, but we are
   basically anti-censorship," he said.

   OzEmail spokesman Michael Ward said the code gave both ISPs and
   customers greater certainty.

   He welcomed the censorship provisions. "We'll never support
   mandatory filtering, but it's a good compromise," he said. It's a
   sensible path between rhetoric and reality."