[FYI] CFP2000: CHALLENGING THE ASSUMPTIONS

http://jya.com/cfp2000.htm

---------------------------------- CUT ------------------------------

                  [Circulate until October 15, 1999]

       The Tenth Conference on Computers Freedom and Privacy

              CFP2000: CHALLENGING THE ASSUMPTIONS

                      http://www.cfp2000.org

                 The Westin Harbour Castle Hotel
                     Toronto, Ontario, Canada
                          April 4-7, 2000

                   ___________________________

                       CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

The Program Committee of the Tenth Conference on Computers, Freedom,
and Privacy (CFP2000) is seeking proposals for conference sessions
and speakers.

For the past decade, CFP has played a major role in the public debate
on the future of privacy and freedom in the online world.  The CFP
audience is as diverse as the Net itself, with attendees not only
from government, business, education, and non-profits, but also from
the community of computer professionals, hackers, crackers and
engineers who work the code of cyberspace.  The themes have been
broad and forward-looking. CFP explores what will be. It is the place
where the future is mapped.

The theme of the tenth CFP conference is 'Challenging the
Assumptions'.  After a decade of CFP conferences, it's time to
examine what we have learned. "On the Internet, nobody knows you're a
dog" has become a cliche, but we've learned that unless we take
measures to protect our identities, people can and do identify us on
the Internet. We have talked about the role of government in
cyberspace, and some have even suggested that the Net needs no
government. But now that increasing numbers of people around the
world are relying on the Internet not just as a marketplace of ideas,
but the market where they conduct their daily business, the issue of
governance has come to the forefront. And even where no rules have
been imposed by governments, some argue that standards setters and
technology implementers have imposed de facto rules. At CFP2000 we
want to re-examine the assumptions we have been making and consider
which ones still make sense as we move forward.

Proposals are welcomed on all aspects of computers, freedom, and
privacy. We strongly encourage proposals that challenge the future,
tackle the hard questions, look at old issues in new ways, articulate
and analyze key assumptions, and present complex issues in all their
complexity.

We are seeking proposals for tutorials, plenary sessions, workshops,
and birds-of-a-feather sessions. We are also seeking suggestions for
speakers and topics. Sessions should present a wide range of thinking
on a topic by including speakers from different viewpoints.  Complete
submission instructions appear on the CFP2000 web site at

     http://www.cfp2000.org/submissions/.

All submissions must be received by October 15, 1999.  The CFP2000
Program Committee will notify submitters of the status of their
proposals by December 3.

Short papers and extended abstracts from the Workshop on Freedom and
Privacy by Design, winning student papers, and papers by other
conference presenters will be printed in the CFP2000 proceedings that
will be distributed to all conference participants. All presenters
will be invited to submit a short paper or position statement for the
proceedings. In addition, plenary session organizers will be
encouraged to submit a paper providing an overview of their session
topic for the proceedings.  The best original papers from the CFP2000
proceedings will be reviewed for publication in a special issue of
The Information Society journal. Packages of position papers from
panelists representing different sides of an issue will also be
considered.

[...]