[FYI] /. Articles:Microsoft NSA key Follow-Up

http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=99/09/09/138209&cid=42

"Microsoft NSA key Follow-Up" | kris (824) | Preferences | Top | 145 comments

You made the laws, now enforce them! (Score:4, Insightful)
by Greyfox (nride@uswest.net) on 15:15 9th September, 1999 CET (#42)
(User Info)

Microsoft or the MUTT team or Phil Zimmerman, exporting a crypto API is exporting a crypto API and illegal under the current US Crypto laws. Since Microsoft is breaking those very clear laws by shipping NT with a replacable key, every single one of us should demand that the US Commerce department pursue this case with exactly the same level of zeal with which they pursued Phil Zimmerman. Why haven't they already stopped all
shipments of NT out of the country? Certainly if Phil was shipping PGP out of Redmond, the men in black would have already stormed his office and confiscated all his computer equipment.

Or are we proving once more that if you have enough money, you're above the law?

Kristian Köhntopp, NetUSE Kommunikationstechnologie GmbH
Siemenswall, D-24107 Kiel, Germany, +49 431 386 436 00
Using PHP3? See our web development library at
http://phplib.netuse.de/ (We have moved! Update your bookmarks!)
Title: Articles:Microsoft NSA key Follow-Up
Welcome to Slashdot
 faq
 code
 awards
 privacy
 slashNET
 older stuff
 rob's page
 preferences
 andover.net
 submit story
 advertising
 supporters
 past polls
 topics
 about
 jobs
 hof

Sections
askslashdot
books
features
interviews
radio

"Microsoft NSA key Follow-Up" | kris (824) | Preferences | Top | 145 comments
Threshold: Save:
The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. Slashdot is not responsible for what they say.
( Beta is only a state of mind )
You made the laws, now enforce them! (Score:4, Insightful)
by Greyfox (nride@uswest.net) on 15:15 9th September, 1999 CET (#42)
(User Info)
Microsoft or the MUTT team or Phil Zimmerman, exporting a crypto API is exporting a crypto API and illegal under the current US Crypto laws. Since Microsoft is breaking those very clear laws by shipping NT with a replacable key, every single one of us should demand that the US Commerce department pursue this case with exactly the same level of zeal with which they pursued Phil Zimmerman. Why haven't they already stopped all shipments of NT out of the country? Certainly if Phil was shipping PGP out of Redmond, the men in black would have already stormed his office and confiscated all his computer equipment.

Or are we proving once more that if you have enough money, you're above the law?

<<I don't buy the don't buy by Bobzibub (Score:1) | just a thought... by Anonymous Coward (Score:1) >>
Moderation Totals:Insightful=2, Interesting=1, Total=3.
  • 2 replies beneath your current threshold.
  •   I have ways of making money that you know nothing of. -- John D. Rockefeller
    All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the Poster. The Rest © 1997-99 Andover.Net.
    [ home | awards | supporters | rob's homepage | contribute story | older articles | Andover.Net | advertising | past polls | about | faq ]