[FYI] (Fwd) TEMPEST Docs

Date sent:      	Sun, 24 Oct 1999 16:54:36 -0400
To:             	cryptography@c2.net
From:           	John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Subject:        	TEMPEST Docs

We offer the first two transciptions of NSA FOIA-released
TEMPEST-related information:

NSTISSAM TEMPEST/1-92 - Compromising Emanations
Laboratory Test Requirements, Electromagnetics - Appendix A:

   http://cryptome.org/nstissam1-92a.htm

NSA/CSS Regulation 90-5, Technical Security Program

   http://cryptome.org/nsa-reg90-6.htm

And our letter of FOIA appeal with invitation for letters of support:

   http://cryptome.org/nsa-foia-app.htm

Recall that executive orders and legislation urge declassification of
information when public interest outweighs continued classification.
Our letter of appeal is based on this and states the case for
declassification as we see it. Letters in support of declassification
would demonstrate public interest in TEMPEST-related information.

We link the justification for release of the information to the
burgeoning global digital intrusion industry, the rise of
economic espionage, the need for public awareness of the
threat, and the need for trustworthy standards and means
for protection of privacy and confidentiality -- as with encryption.

We argue that public trust in government and institutions are
are stake, and that social stability and national security will
be enhanced by release of TEMPEST-related information --
as with encryption.