[FYI] EU-Neusprech: "Coregulation"

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-1474413.html

------------------------------ CUT ----------------------------------

EU commissioner pushing for Net self-regulation

     By Bloomberg News
     Special to CNET News.com
     November 30, 1999, 10:20 a.m. PT

BRUSSELS--European Union Telecommunications Commissioner Erkki
Liikanen said he plans to propose guidelines by next April for
businesses to set up ways to self-regulate the Internet.

Government action is necessary in some areas such as copyright
protection and liability, he said. But in other cases, governments
should leave it to businesses to come up with ways to manage the
Internet, he added. Such self-regulation could involve ways for
consumers and companies to resolve disputes out of court.

"We should have regulation where it's necessary, and where it's not
necessary we can trust self-regulation," Liikanen said after meeting
with EU telecommunications ministers. He called his approach
"coregulation."

[...]