Re: AW: [ICANN-EU] ICANN Revokes Domain Names

Dear Christian,

you wrote to Jim Fleming:
> I totally agree with you. The main question is: Where is the open and
> transparent ICANN Board discussions on this ? If not even we as
> @large-members hear of ICANN anything, I think we need more open doors and
> windows.
> Our representatives should work on it!

just to put things into proportion: The decision to
revoke domain names ending in a '-' was taken in
*January*. Those domains had only been registered due
to a *software bug* in NSI Registry's Shared Registry
System.

The labelling syntax ("[The labels] must start with a
letter, end with a letter or digit, and have as interior
characters only letters, digits, and hyphen.") is to be
found in RFC 1035 from November 1997. It's even in RFC 882
from 1983 when the Domain Name System was created, and
it's based on the rules for ARPANET host names from
1970-something. You can't really blame ICANN for following
these specifications.

Best regards,
/// Alexander