[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [ICANN-EU] Re: European At Large Council
- To: Jeanette Hofmann <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [ICANN-EU] Re: European At Large Council
- From: Thomas Roessler <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 10:55:34 +0200
- Cc: email@example.com
- Comment: This message comes from the icann-europe mailing list.
- In-Reply-To: <39AF001C.21019.292B47F@localhost>; from firstname.lastname@example.org on Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 01:02:20AM +0100
- Mail-Followup-To: Jeanette Hofmann <email@example.com>,firstname.lastname@example.org
- References: <200008310250.e7V2ohW19178@mailhost.fh-muenchen.de>; <20000831103934.E20533@sobolev.does-not-exist.org> <39AF001C.21019.292B47F@localhost>
- Sender: email@example.com
- User-Agent: Mutt/1.3.8i
On 2000-09-01 01:02:20 +0100, Jeanette Hofmann wrote:
> Thus, I think time is not ready for creating a council. An
> at-large council may be a gradual outcome of an undefined period
> of discussion and work. A council whose authority would be based
> on pesonal trust and merit rather than on formal and somewhat
> helpless criteria of representativeness.
> That's why I would prefer to rely on open mailing lists for the
> time being.
I fully agree.
> And, to add just another point, a council wouldn't prevent a
> director from creating his own private little council - and be it
> only to figure out how to cope with its official equivalent ;-)
That's what I had in mind when I wrote about naturally-evolving
structures. I think it's pretty obvious that the director will have
some persons he or she personally trusts, and possibly calls to get
immediate feed-back on certain ideas or issues, or asks for help in
condensing opinions. Note that such structures are completely
independent from any formal council, and _will_ evolve, even despite
the creation of a more formal council.
Since these structures will, however, be able to perform most of the
council's intended functions, I don't see any need for a council,
currently. Remember, all this is about consulting with one single
Thomas Roessler <firstname.lastname@example.org>