Re: [ICANN-EU] Re: [icann-candidates] Don't waste your endorsement vote

* Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>Lutz,
>>I'm conservative for good reasons. Something to think about: Will shop.de
>>withdrawn due to the creation of the TLD shop?
>
>Why should it?
>I don't understand.

http://www.denic.de/doc/faq/vergaberichtlinie.html  (cut&waste without tools)
Article 2: ... It is not allowed to have second level domain name identical
           to any top level domain name (currently arpa, com, ...) ...

>>You might read my position as: 'No new TLDs.' This is the correct short
>>answer. The longer one is: 'Show me how a new TLD solves a problem over a
>>long period of time without creating new ones, and I will not resist.'
>
>You may be right, new TLDs will not dramatically "solve problems", but
>they may improve things.

Please give me a hint about possible long term improvments other than
increasing profits for more companies.

>Right now, the "open" TLDs are all in the capable hands of a unique
>company. The introduction of (a limited number of) new TLDs will provide
>alternatives.

Currently there are several registrars for the same TLDs. So a fair
competition does not require new TLDs.

>We may have different business models, different level of protection of
>trademarks, different dispute resolution mechanism, and so on.

Even org and net had such a policy. How will you prevent the same fate for a
new TLD? How will identical trademarks in different countries be handled?
How will identical trademarks in the same country but in different
categories be handled?

"brand"."class"."ccTLD".trade will hardly be accepted.
So you will run into the same problems as today.

A new eu domain? Why? eu.int does exist.

>Why should this not be worthed trying?

IMHO: The benefits does not overcome the drawbacks.

>Innovation has been the keyword for Internet. Of course, it is normal for
>the innovators of yesterday to become conservative today. But other
>innovators will follow ;>)

Nobody was able to tell me a good reasoning for doing inventions only with
new TLDs.