Re: [ICANN-EU] Re: .EU

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000 14:26:25 +0200 (MEST), you wrote:

>Anyway, there was some kind of discussion on how to name a European
>Union-TLD. EUR was also discussed but dismissed because the EU bureaucracy wants
>to establish .eu under ccTLD-regime and that, by tradition, requires
>two-letter codes (guess why they want to have a ccTLD - just have a look at GAC's
>statement with regard to the final authority over ccTLDs). .ue was also
>proposed (Union d'Europe/Unione Europea, if I recall it right). The
>representatives of "roman" (French, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese) countries claimed to
>have more native speakers on their side who say "UE" than the English/German
>part has for "EU"... Germans would have been best off anyway because we may
>say "Europäische Union" as well as "Union von Europa" (just in case it would
>have happened ;-)

Anyway, "Europa" or "Europe" is the name of the continent in all
countries, including "roman" ones, so .eu seems natural to everyone,
while .ue does not. (But it is true that "UE" is the name of the union
in "roman" countries).

--
.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo vb.
Vittorio Bertola     <vb@vitaminic.net>    Ph. +39 011 23381220