Re: [ICANN-EU] Re: .EU

On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Jefsey Morfin wrote:

> Vittorio,
> the problem is that if ".eu" is an acceptable abbreviation to "europ:" as you
> mention it, or to "euro" as ISO had foreseen, it is in no way an acceptable
> abbreviation to "eec" or "european uniion" for the majority of european
> countries
> not belonging to the EEC from Island to Russia.

I cannot understand why we are discussing the abbreviation and the
countries that may or may not participate. I haven't seen anyone
explaining so far, why we should have *any* ccTLD for an entity that is
not a country. All I have read are marketing slogans, like "competition",
"global", "unity" etc.

Could someone, please, explain to my little brain:

1. Why we need a .eu? What is wrong with eu.int for the European
Commission and its institutions?
2. How it can be a ccTLD?
3. Can other organizations of countries also apply for a ccTLD? Say OPEC?

Thanks.

--
 Marc Schneiders --- http://bodacious-tatas.org: no not what you think