Re: [ICANN-EU] .EU

Jefsey & Andreas,

> >It certainly lacks among other things political power, social unity and
> >an identity. With the growing importance of the internet the TLD
> >.eu is a statement towards importance of the European Union.
> >See it as an additional symbol, maybe the equivillant of a flag.

Sorry, I've never been a flags' lover ;-)

> > >What I do care about, however, is the TLD's names policy.
> > >If we need .EU in the first place it should be open for all Europeans.
> > >Isn't it rediculous that non-EU members such as Switzerland have to
> > >go begging for admission?
> >Please do not mix the geographic area of Europe with the entity called
> >European Union.

ccTLDs used to refer to territories, about 95% or 99% of which are
equivalent to countries.

> >Switzerland is not part of the European Union by choice!

This sounds as if it is only fair to exclude Switzerland,  Norway etc.
However, you know quite well that there are a bunch of countries
who won't be led it in for many years to come.
My point is that I don't see any good reason why the DNS should
reflect the social and economic asymmetries brought about by
Europe's geo-political order.
Come to think of it, it reminds me of Mr Popov's remark about
needing a visa to attend meetings in EU land...

> Let accept that ".eu" was ill chosen by a Brussels clark. That no
> democratic or professionnal process was carried in chosing it,
> that we will have to leave with it, that it will be mostly used as a
> counterpart to ".gov"and that ".eec" would have been better chosen
> to that end.

There is hardly any other choice, is there? This doesn't mean
though that I have to like it.

> Jeannette you looked for a financing of your ICANN support:

I have been looking for a financial support of the Eurepean ALM.
The ALM director's activities would only be a part of the greater
picture.

 make
> yourself appointed as an ".eu" expert/lobbyist  in Brussels.

Great idea! I am sure they'd welcome me open-heartedly ;-)

cheers, jeanette