Re: [ICANN-EU] Things to Ask for at MDR

On 2000-11-08 22:47:12 +0100, jdd wrote:

> I don't understand at all this part, the rest is nice:

> ? New At Large Directors should be selected by existing At
>        Large Directors only. Rationale: There is no reason why
>        SO-selected directors should have a vote when filling At
>        Large seats. At Large Directors don't have a vote in filling
>        SO vacancies, either.

You snipped the (important) headline:  Filling At Large Director
Vacancies.

According to the current Bylaws, when an At Large Director gets
crazy while holding his office, the entire Board of Directors will
vote on his successor.  When an SO director's plane drops into the
Pacific, the SO which nominated him originally will select the
successor.  To make things absurd, the selected successor's term
will be more "robust" than the elected director's in the at large
case.

Given ICANN's quite corporatistic structure, I don't see any
justification to have one interest group select the representant of
another one - the SO directors having a voice in filling At Large
vacancies is similar to the PSO selecting a DNSO director, and
should not (and does not) happen.  Actually, when the "eternity
four" were selected, this was a decision of the at large directors
only.  The SO directors, and the CEO, were _not_ involved, and this
is a good thing.

You'll notice that this is about circumstances nobody of us hopes to
occur - so this is mostly a symbolic demand.  However, it would be
an important step in removing that "second class" smell from the
elected at large directors, and the at large membership as a hole.

--
Thomas Roessler                         <roessler@does-not-exist.org>