[icann-eu] Re: [ga] DNSO funding and the NCDNHC

At 7:50 -0700 5/1/01, Eric Dierker wrote:
>ICANN has funding problems.  ICANN is a non-profit. It is understood
>by many that
>ICANN must receive 51% of its funding through qualified donations

This is not correct.  Please stop repeating it.  All of ICANN's
income relates to its tax-exempt purpose.   All of the important
documents relating to the U.S. Internal Revenue, etc are posted at:

<http://www.icann.org/financials>

>My understanding is that the denial stems from lack of fulfillment of it's
>charitable mission.

The requirement under the Internal Revenue code section 501c3 is that
all of ICANN's activities be conducted for "scientific and
educational purposes."  This is the same section used by all
non-profit U.S. universities and research organizations.

All of ICANN's activities fall under this tax language.  For legal
purposes, ICANN's mission is stated in its articles of incorporation.
See: <http://www.icann.org/general/articles.htm>

- Mike