[icann-eu] Re: [ga] [Clarification] NO CROSS POSTING practices on the DNSO server

Patrick and all,

Co-Chair, DNSO GA wrote:

> Thank you DNSO Secrretariat for keeping up informed particularly in the
> light of the intriduction of six new mailing lists.
>
> Members of the GA should, of course, be aware that cross-posting has never
> been a permitted practice.  However some subscibers do get caught out.

  Well this is not entirely true Patrick.  Cross posting is an anachronism that
has yet to be adequately defined.  Second, "CC'ing" is not cross posting.
Third, "CC'ing" is a standard practice and is incorporated in most
E-Mail clients.  Forth, to suggest that decimating information between
different ML's that have and interests in the information being discussed
that may or may not have subscribers to all of those ML's is indicating
that they do not want to be kept informed.  Such a thought or idea
is tantamount to limiting speech, and is questionable as to it's accuracy
and/or validity.

> One example is cross-posting to other constituencies like the NCDNHC.
> Another is cross-posting to ICANN-EUROPE.  Please note that such postings
> may bounce without notice to the person posting.

  Bouncing from where?  Certainly not the NCDNHC list or the ICANN-EU
ML.

> As well, cross-postings to other lists may well be manually moderated or
> otherwise blocked by the other party's software.  I believe NetSol's Domain
> Policy is one such example which disallows cross-posting.

  Wrong.  Domain policy has no such provision.

> Whilst it is reasonable to address a posting to a particular person, with a
> copy to the list, I would suppose that most subscribers would prefer not to
> receive multiple copies of the same posting.  There really is no need to cc
> those who are already on the list.

  True.  However those that are NOT on one list where a post on a thread
of some interest on another ML may be helpful and useful, as we
have all seen many many times.