[icann-eu] DoC and the new TLDs in the root

I hope someone could please reply to a question I have: (TIA)

If I rightly understood, the US Department of Commerce is the ultimate
"point" for root modifications. [The new TLDs (.biz and .info) are starting
the "IP Claim" and the "sunrise period" for trademark owners.]
When the DoC is going to pronunce, (accept or whatlese), on the
modifications to the root? Shouldn't DoC say something about the new
operational TLDs (.biz and .info at this time)?

TIA
/sb