Re: [icann-eu] Domain Name Economics

At 14:14 5/06/01 +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:

>       Representing Users' and Domain Name Holders' interests
>

> From the above, we can conclude that as long as domain name holders are
> sort of satisfied by at least some registrars' offers, it's unlikely that
> the root monopoly of which these registrars are part would break.
>
>Thus, there are close to no market-driven feedback channels for users or
>domain name holders.  Users and domain name holders are, in particular,
>normally not among the possibly destructive players I listed above.
>

>Thus, they can only exercise influence by allying with destructive
>players.  Now, let's go over the list of possibly destructive players:
>
>- ISPs.  As long as supporting the monopoly doesn't mean you are   losing
>customers to competition which doesn't support the   monopoly, there is no
>incentive to attempt to break it.
>
>- ccTLDs.  Since the more powerful ccTLDs can be assumed to be among   the
>TLDs which are unlikely to be attacked during a root split,   they are
>among those players on the market which are most probably   least
>interested in the monopoly, and possibly most interested
>in   destabilizing it.

Thank you for your thoughts, Thomas.
 From what is happening after Stockholm now, I guess that you are not alone
with these conclusions.
It is time for a fresh approach and closer ties of the DN holders'
organizations with the ccTLD's.

--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--
the Cyberspace Association and
the constituency for Individual Domain Name Owners
Elected representative.
http://www.idno.org