Re: [icann-eu] Domain Name Economics

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, at 21:40 [=GMT+0200], Thomas Roessler wrote:
> > On 2001-06-07 18:39:20 +0200, Marc Schneiders wrote:
>
> >>I wouldn't say that everyone who wants to get a new TLD with
> >>ICANN must be of the scale of Verisign.
>
> >The application fee made it impossible for many organizations,
> >businesses and non-profits, to apply. If you are small, you will
> >not get in. Maybe not Verisign size is what was demanded, but in
> >any case a few sizes too big in my view.
>
> Look at the bucks you can make with TLD operations.  And look at the
> investments you have to make in order to make these bucks.  $50k
> isn't that much when you put it into context.

I would prefer that not all TLDs were just for profit...

> >>However, look at the alternatives: Leah's .biz is going to be
> >>squashed precisely because it is too small and too invisible to
> >>pose any serious danger to the ICANN-sponsored one.
>
> >I fail to see what you mean in this context. Too small is bad
> >luck? My point was, that it would be great if an organization like
> >ICANN could help avoid smaller organizations to be crushed only
> >and only if these same organizations had a (better) chance within
> >the ICANN process. Since they haven't they lose either way: they
> >are crushed or kept out.
>
> Precisely.  Without a centralized organization such as ICANN,
> smaller players don't have the faintest chance.  With such an
> organization, they _may_ have a chance, assuming reasonable
> behaviour of such an organization.

Let's get the organisation to behave then.

> >>But can you guarantee me that the pre-ICANN .biz is robust
> >>enough to survive when a large competitor (the ICANN .biz) tries
> >>to squash it?
>
> >Of course not, but so what? Can ICANN guarentee all TLDs'
> >survival?
>
> They should, don't you think?

They can't. And I don't see why it is necessary.

> >>In order to be able to give such guarantees, you'd have to
> >>invest a lot of money into global visibility.
>
> >A nameserver? A lot of money?
>
> Persuading all those ISPs to actually know about your TLD?

Not necessary, if it is added to the root they use, right?

> >>Thus, domain name holder interests need to be represented within
> >>(maybe forced upon) the ICANN framework.  But domain name holder
> >>and end user interests will only be extremely badly represented
> >>within the SO framework where various other interests can easily
> >>overrule them.
>
> >>You see where this argument leads to? ;-)
>
> >No. All I see is that for economical reasons it will be impossible
> >to get things right through mere market forces (partly because we
> >are talking about a regulated and restricted market!). Let's act
> >upon that then.
>
> Right.  So this argument directly leads to user representation, and
> actually to the at large seats on the board.

A functioning (and full, 9 seats) at large would be the most we might
get right now. It may very well make a difference. Shall we go for it?

marc@dot.low