[icann-europe] Re:ALSC publishes final draft

At the time, going on three weeks ago, I had in mind something like
US $100 from several thousand individuals who actually were willing
to put their money where their mouth was about having a functioning
At Large organization.

Today, that idea is out the window, along with a lot of other
populist notions about any old terrorist around the globe getting to
vote on how to run the DNS.

When civilization takes a step backward, as it did last week, it
usually means a period in which the people with the guns make the
decisions.  Anyone watching the American President on tv in recent
days knows that's where we're at.  It may be a while before the
luxury of debating what constitutes consensus in a terrorist-less
society returns.

If you were thinking about contributing to an ICANN ALSO, send it to
the Red Cross instead.

- Mike

At 16:35 -0400 9/14/01, t byfield wrote:
>mmr@darwin.ptvy.ca.us (Tue 08/28/01 at 08:05 AM -0700):
>
>>  Couldn't agree more.  Those of us with some resources, or friends who
>>  still have resources after their stock options have gone under water,
>>  perhaps ought to petition the Board to establish a restricted fund
>>  for the specific purpose of financing the ALSO.  It would be
>>  unfortunate if one or two large donations from foundations or others
>>  with a "point of view" ended up dominating the financing of ALSO.
>
>(taking a jab at markle, are we then? tsk...)
>
>i know what you mean--'points of view' can be very insidious, especially
>when they involve kooky ideas like openness, a commitment to broad-based
>consultation *on a reasonable schedule*, actual consensus instead of sim-
>ulacra of consensus, and so on.
>
>it'd be much better to get a bunch of rich guys to fund an ALSO. and the
>idea of filtering their input through the board--now that's a plan.

cheers,