Re: [icann-europe] Too concrete, steal away?

At 14:07 27/09/01 +0200, Cees Rindmarsch wrote:
>http://www.icann.org/announcements/announcement-26sep01.htm:
>
>"The Internet is global in reach, as are the threats of terrorism. The
>events of 11 September offered a stark and tragic reminder of the
>incalculable importance of a reliable and secure naming and addressing
>system ...
>Accordingly, the November ICANN meetings will focus on stability and
>security of the Internet's naming and addressing systems and of their
>operational implementation globally. This will be the overriding
>imperative for the meeting. As such, this will be a very different kind of
>meeting than previous ICANN meetings and will not follow the usual format...
>The focus of the meetings may well delay progress on some of the worthy
>and important initiatives that are currently underway. The effects of such
>delays have to be measured against the importance of ensuring the
>stability and security of the Internet itself.

>  This will require patience on the part of those who may experience
> delays in matters of importance to them so that the ICANN community can
> bear down on the issue at hand."

Notice the wording. "Them" (those who have worked for so long on Domain
Name holder representation, @Large membersship) vs. "the ICANN community". (us)

We will see Kent C., the security expert,  holding forth on the
desirability of outlawing non-ICANN roots worldwide and Mike repeating that
democracy aids terrorists.
ICANN staff will say that the ccTLD's must now be given an ultimatum to
sign the contract with ICANN "in the interest of stability".

--Joop