Re: [icann-europe] [fwd] [ALSC-Forum] Re: a proposed action statement (from: mmr@darwin.ptvy.ca.us)

Cameron and all,

  Many of us here in the US also share you disgust in Mike Roberts
post to which you refer that he made to the Atlargestudy.org Mailing
list.  I personally responded after recieving a number of calls
from our members, ex-military,or retired military personel, and
an assortment of others.

Cameron Smith wrote:

> I have not mailed anything to this list for a very
> long time now, but I feel I must express my disgust at
> this shallow attempt to confuse issues by Mike
> Roberts.
>
> I am a citizen of the U.K. - while we have not, I
> think, felt the sense of absolute shock and loss that
> the U.S. has at the events of September 11th, there is
> no question here that those events have fundamentally
> altered our own view of the world.
>
> Therefore, I accept that if a reassessment of national
> security priorities means changes to the governance of
> the internet, so be it.  However I do not accept that:
>
> a) Those changes should be approved in a 'knee-jerk'
> fashion by the clique who runs ICANN.
> b) The broader issues of accountability and
> impropriety which have plagued ICANN almost since its
> inception, and which the ALSC is the latest attempt to
> deal with, should be 'swept under the carpet' because
> to raise them is somehow 'unpatriotic' as Roberts seem
> to suggest.
>
> Life has to go on, and it has to go on democratically.
>  A key aspect of any democratic process is debate and
> criticism.
>
> Therefore debate about, and criticism of, the
> governance of ICANN must still be dealt with by
> reasoned argument, and not, as in Roberts' mail, by
> the sly imputation that dissenters are somehow
> unpatriotic or irresponsible.
>
> Cameron Smith,
> Edinburgh,
> Scotland
>
> ------------------
> Thomas Roessler  wrote: FYI.-- Thomas Roessler
> http://log.does-not-exist.org/
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Mike Roberts -----From:
> Mike Roberts To: Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 20:59:42
> -0700Subject: [ALSC-Forum] Re: a proposed action
> statementWith apologies to the non-US members of this
> list, I'd like to make some comments that are
> inevitably US-centric.Today marked a watershed day in
> the history of the Internet. In some sense, the real
> date was September 11, when the leadership role of the
> United States in world peace, in economic development,
> and in technology innovation was challenged by a group
> of determined religious fanatics using our own
> technology on us to cause the death of thousands of
> innocent people.But the legal date between the "old"
> Internet and the "new Internet was today, October 26,
> 2001,when President George Bush signed the
> anti-terrorism bill that was passed by the upper house
> of Congress yesterday with one dissenting vote.This
> legislation brings the Internet and its developers,
> providers and users directly into the new war on
> terrorism. It extends extensive new power to law
> enforcement to find, capture, and punish those who use
> the network for terrorism or other criminal activity.
> It removes the previous barriers between foreign and
> domestic anti-terrorism investigations and establishes
> the principle that whoever you are, wherever you are,
> [...]

Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 214-244-4827