[icann-europe] Re: [ecdiscuss] Re: [icann-europe] European Root Server System

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> So I think that the EU should set up both a parallel root system and a
> parallel organisation to ICANN (at least, to the current US-controlled
> ICANN), and then such organisation and US-ICANN could agree to
> maintain the two systems synchronised, or even to establish a small
> overlying council to decide worldwide policy when necessary (based on
> the principle that decisions should be taken locally as much as
> possible). So the EU root, in case of need, could be used in the
> interest of European citizens and economies - not, when they collide,
> in the interest of the US ones.

no!

root = one.

You would end up with a horribly unsynchronised internet, with not the
whole thing viewable in the whole world. The internet works fine as it, I
don't think the USA practices too much control over the root/ICANN, I dont
see a need to change it.