[icann-europe] RE: [ecdiscuss] Fwd: European Commission Survey on IP Rights in . eu

Dear Mr. Sáez,

thanks for your very quick response!

At 02.08.2002 12:40, you wrote:
>Dear All,
>
>I am sorry about the problems experienced with the question related to
>"exclusions from registration". To my regret, these  problems cannot be
>solved and, thus, the answers to this question will not be taken into
>account when evaluating the results of the survey.
>
>As regards Mr.Svensson's comment regarding the sunrise period, I would like
>to mention that, first, the sunrise period is already foreseen in Article
>5(1)(b) of the .eu Regulation and, second, it is possible to make whatever
>comments you want to make in the box provided for that purpose at the end of
>the survey.

Article 5(1)(b) states that public policy shall include:

 public policy on speculative and abusive registration of
 domain names including the possibility of registrations of
 domain names in a phased manner to ensure appropriate
 temporary opportunities for the holders of prior rights
 recognised or established by national and/or Community
 law and for public bodies to register their names;

I read this as *possibility* of a sunrise period. Similarly, the
survey question starts with the following phrase:

 When a new domain such as .eu is launched the Registry can allow
 owners of intellectual property and other rights a priority period [...]

It can, but must not. I hope that people are sufficiently aware
of the sunrise period problems during the launch of the new
generic TLDs and fill in comments in the box at the end of the
survey.

Best regards,
/// Alexander Svensson