Re: [icann-europe] CYBER-FEDERALIST NO.14: Creating the Illusion of Legitimacy

Hello!

As currently envisioned, any user representation organization in ICANN will have an "advisory" role. It will have no real means of influencing ICANN.

ICANN is currently developing a rather complicated scheme for how the governing board is selected. I believe the current plan is that the board will be accountable to another group (the Nomination Committee) that is selected in large part by the board itself. To me, it seems that such accountability mechanisms are weak indeed.

Hans

At 03:30 AM 8/9/2002 +0200, Christoph wrote:
Hello,

Hans Klein wrote:
>       CYBER-FEDERALIST No. 14         8 August 2002
>
>                Creating the Illusion of Legitimacy

Hans - thanks for the comprehensive Overview.

Prompted by your article I've looked into the ICANN web site, and frankly
I've got not the slightest idea what this stuff means they write about
"at large". It seems to be mostly psycho-babble.

Can someone shine light some light for me what the following means ?

> Concurrently, the Board directed ICANN's internal " Evolution
> and Reform Committee " to ensure that its blueprint for ICANN
> reform includes "(a) workable mechanisms and procedures that enable
> meaningful opportunities for participation by the full range of
> Internet users, including individuals, academic institutions,
> large and small businesses, non-commercial entities (including
> consumer groups), and other non-governmental organizations,
> (b) an appropriate role for those interests in ICANN's coordinating
> and management structures'" (For more on the rationale for the At-Large,
> see "Need for At-Large")

what does that mean ? This is the point where they come closest
to describing what this At Large is supposed to be, according to them.

Or, let me rephrase my question: when all is said and done, will there
be a way for the "user representation" to meaningfully affect
ICANN decision ?

Is the At Large structure given _any_ kind of rights ? Will there
be veto power ? Board voting power ? exclusive proposition rights
for certain staff posts ? An legal entitlement to be formally heard
before certain issues are decided ?

Anything ?

Or are they organizing the ICANN fan club here ? Where you can buy
ICANN tshirts, and in case they run a show in your neighbourhood, maybe
you get a front seat ? The web site certainly sounds this way.

We have a few people on this list involved in the current At
Large effort - maybe someone cares to comment ?

This brings up another question: just who is it the board members
are responsible to ? Who _owns_ ICANN these days ? Who actually
_has_ a say there ?

When _will_ the current board members' terms expire ? Who determines
their successors ?

This all grows more and more mysterious to me.

Regards

Christoph Weber-Fahr