[atlarge-discuss] Very useful comments of Bruce Young

HelpI find myself in great agreement with many of Bruce Young's recent comments.

Firstly, I think his 'signature' is excellent and well-focussed:

"Support democratic control of the Internet!
Go to http:// etc ... and Join Icannatlarge.com."

Excellent. A focussed slogan, showing the populist breadth of the initiative that we need. The guy's a natural with words. Make him Head of Marketing!

Such a slogan can be referenced (narrowly) to ICANN...
but can also be referenced (worldwide) to a mass-movement.

Secondly, I totally support his comment about the incestuous relationship of ICANN and the Registries, Registrars and other commercial entities: "Why should commercial entities (like Registrars etc) deserve special consideration?"

I entirely agree with this - they are minority interests, who stand to gain from executive power in ICANN, and who therefore should have none. Given the demonstrable conflict of interests commercial groups like these are the last people who should be granted executive powers or positions. The Internet should remain free, and should be MUCH more democratically administered, by the millions upon millions of ordinary internet users who use it and develop it day to day.

It is THESE users, in their millions, who we should seek to involve and represent. THAT should be at the heart of our Agenda and our Mission Statement.

Richard