[atlarge-discuss] Fw: ALOC Representation needs accompanying mission statement

HelpRe-sent in more readable format:

With regard to ALOC:

We SHOULD be represented (because it is a right of the people),
but I agree with Vittorio that our representatives should take a
clear statement with them, that

(a) they are wholly independent of ICANN

(b) critical of ICANN - sorry, but there's no point in appeasement

(c) we have minimum requirements and expectations (including the
election of a significant part of the ICANN board by an ALSO
membership recognised by ICANN but independent of it.

I DO NOT favour ICANN financing, however, as that automatically
creates a link and dependency, and a 'suspicion of association' with
ICANN.

You do not ask a burglar to pay for your house insurance.

First though, as Wolfgang states, we cannot be represented there
without a clear mission statement. And I think this could be a little
problematic, as I suspect that within our own group there are those
who favour a narrow ICANN-related mission, and those like myself
who favour a broader mission, aimed at a larger audience and
membership.

The structure or architecture for discussion of this urgent matter,
and the bylaws, and the name, and the elections, should be set in
place this weekend - so that discussion among members can
commence immediately in a clear and orderly manner.

I propose separate threads or forum sub-sections for different issues
(including a breaking up of bylaws issues into ten or more sections as
I detailed a week ago).

Some people may argue that we need to proceed step-by-step.

I believe we should initiate discussion in this structured way immediately.

Richard